Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Prime Minister Uses Prime Technology


The other day I was scanning through some news articles about technology on Google News (great source, by the way). Amongst the 'typical' headline stories about the new iPad, one really caught my attention: "Stranded Leader Runs Country by iPad." What?? Needless to say, I kept on reading.

The article was posted on April 17 by CNN, and it described an unusual set of events for the Norwegian Prime Minister, Jens Stoltenberg. During one of his visits to the USA, a volcano erupted in Iceland that kept all the airports from running. Stoltenberg ended up stranded in New York. Sounds like a bad scenario, doesn't it? Wouldn't the fact that the Prime Minister of Norway is stuck in a foreign country not turn out too well for the people of Norway? By no means. Stoltenberg simply whipped out his high-tech iPad and ran the country from the convenience of NY. Wow. Now that's cool.

Technology never ceases to amaze me. I'm blown away by all the advancements that've been made over the past several decades and especially in the last decade alone. Technology has certainly changed the way we do things - not that I remember a time before the Internet and cell phones... but I'm told life was different then.

One thing we've been talking about in media class recently is about how technology has changed the way we conceive of communication. Instead of being constrained by location and having to communicate face-to-face (in the days without technology), we're able to communicate without concern for distance and location. No longer does it matter how far away I am from someone; whether I'm 2 miles away or 2,000 miles away, technology allows me to feel closely connected to anyone. And being able to transcend distance through technology and still communicate was essential when it came to Stoltenberg being stranded in NY and still running Norway.

So, speaking of distance not being an issue... Maybe I could end up 'stranded' on, say, a tropical island and sit in the shade of a tree by the shore and do my homework from there. (Ahhh... that's the life.)

3 comments:

  1. What a great article! It is crazy what technology can do now. I say we give that stranded island homework thing a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I wonder if we could find a certain island with electromagnetism... Although I'm not sure I want to be there now that Jack and 'new Locke' have joined forces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no joke! Jacob is good. and will save the island. But, hey, if not, at least Jin and Sun are finally together.

    ReplyDelete